With changing times, the vehicles we drive has also undergone tremendous change. Whether it is the design, the size or the mechanism of the car. Some of these changes are good not only for the car enthusiast but also for environment. As we all know that car is one of the main contributor of high level of air pollution. But the recent innovation of electrical cars is a boon for the environment. Electrical car are not only easy to ride but also ensure less or no pollution to the air.
Here is the information on types of electric car available and how do they operate.
There are main three categories of electrical car depending on the way they work.
- Hybrid Electric Car – The first one in the list is the hybrid electric car. This car uses the combination of electricity and fuel. It is the entry level electricity car. Also, it doesn’t have charging port like other high end electrical cars. It charges itself from the energy that brake of the car generates. Unlike regular car, these cars have regenerating brakes that convert the power into electric energy instead of the heat energy. There are three sub categories to hybrid electric car. They are separated on the basis of their fuel consumption.
- The Micro Hybrids – They are at the lowest spectrum of hybrid car. They use combustion as the driving force. And electricity is used in stationery or idle position.
- The Mild Hybrid electric vehicles – These are one step up the ladder of the hybrid electric car. They use the combined energy from combustion as well as electricity. Thus, they have fuel efficiency of 20 to 25% as compared to the non-electric vehicle.
- The Full Hybrids vehicle – These vehicle can run solely on electricity, or combustion or with the combination of both. It has bigger motor, battery pack and alternator as compared to the mild hybrid car. They provide around 45% fuel efficiency as compared to the non-hybrid vehicles.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electrical Vehicle (PHEV) – The plug-in hybrid electrical vehicle also runs on both – fuel as well as electricity. However the major difference between a hybrid and an electric hybrid is the charging port. PHEVs have a charging port for external charging as well as internal generator to charge from within. The car can be completely charged within 2 hours. Also, due to bigger batteries, it can run longer on electric charge and reserve than the full hybrid vehicles.
- Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) – They are at the top spectrum of the electric vehicles. As the name suggests, it is completely battery run. And therefore there is no combustion resulting in zero emission. With huge batteries it can cover upto 594 km with single charge. Earlier the charging used to take 6-12 hours. But now with various options of super charge stations, and rapid chargers it takes only 30 minutes to full charge.
So, if you are a car and a green environment enthusiast, the electric vehicles are perfect for you!